Frequently Asked Questions
- What role does Dr. Weil play in the Fellowship?
- As the Director of the Center for Integrative Medicine, Dr. Weil guided the development of the curriculum used in the Fellowship. While Dr. Weil's schedule does not always allow him to regularly be involved in the online delivery of the program, he does teach at the immersion sessions, occasionally participates in online dialogues, and contributes to other curricular areas and clinical scenario development.
- What are the requirements for admission? Do you have to have an MD?
- The Fellowship is designed for physicians (MD and DO), pharmacists (PharmD), advanced practice registered nurses, dentists (DDS/DMD) and physician assistants with a current medical license. Naturopathic doctors (license-eligible) are also eligible for our Fellowship. Please contact admissions to begin the pre-approval process. You need to have graduated from one of ND schools approved by the AANMC. You cannot be in a residency program unless you are a part of our IMFR program.
- What would my time commitment be?
- The Fellowship is a two-year, 1,000 hour program. Fellows spend approximately 10 hours of home study per week and are required to spend three separate immersion weeks in Tucson. Fellows must maintain current academic progress throughout the two years of the Fellowship.
- What will I receive upon graduation from the Fellowship?
- After successful completion of all Fellowship requirements, you will receive a certificate of completion through the University of Arizona - Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine. Completion of the Fellowship grands MD and DO Fellows eligibility for Board certification in Integrative Medicine; available from the American Board of Physician Specialties.
- How is a Fellowship in Integrative Medicine recognized?
- Our Fellowship is recognized as the national model for fellowship training. Academic centers and hospital organizations continue to send their physicians and nurse practitioners to our Fellowship for advanced training in integrative medicine (e.g., John's Hopkins, University of California at San Francisco, the National Institutes of Health, Beth Israel, Duke, Mayo, Scripps, University of Maryland, University of New Mexico).
- What if I'm not currently in practice? Can I still be accepted into the Fellowship?
- It's most beneficial for Fellows to be in an active practice because the learning experiences involve interaction with patients. However, licensed healthcare providers who are not currently in an active practice are considered without prejudice.
- The tuition is prohibitive for me. Are there any scholarships or financial aid funds available?
- Since the Fellowship is not a degree-granting program with the University of Arizona, there is no financial aid available through federally sponsored student loans. However, the Fellowship offers multiple scholarships. Please follow the link to find out more information about the scholarships offered. For more information please visit the Scholarships page. If you have questions, email Admissions.
- I am not a primary care physician. Is this program right for me?
- Yes, we have accepted healthcare providers from a variety of clinical specialties into our Fellowship program. In addition to adult primary care, pediatricians, OB/GYNs, emergency medicine, ophthalmologists, surgeons, oncologists, cardiologists, otolaryngologists, anesthesiologists, and many others have all been successful participants in the program and report great satisfaction from the learning experience. Please contact our Admissions Team if you would like to connect with a graduate from your specialty.
Current Fellows/Alumni FAQ
- Instructions Requesting Verification of Fellowship Medical Education Training
- Current Fellows or Alumni may request a Verification Letter from Student Affairs through the Support Ticket system.
Agencies requesting credentialing verification may send a request, including a signed release by the practitioner, via email to email@example.com
Free Health Resources
Find an Integrative Practitioner
Body of Wonder Podcast
Join Mailing List